Did you know that this is the "Week of DD Advocacy"? It's a week-long virtual DD advocacy rally. The goal of the week is for as many people as possible to send a message to Oregon Legislators.
Here's a link that will help you to find your state legislators:
And to make it even easier, below is a message you can use when contacting your legislator:
"Oregonians with developmental disabilities and their families can't move backward, we need to move forward! Don't take away our ability to continue responding to the needs of thousands of people with developmental disabilities and their families with a sustainable, flexible, cost-effective supports and services."
You can make a difference! Here's a message from Cheryl Cisneros, GO! Project Coordinator, about how you can participate.
1. CALL OR EMAIL YOUR LEGISLATOR with this message.
- Always introduce yourself as their "constituent"
2. THINK SOCIAL MEDIA!
- Post this message on your Facebook wall and on your legislator's Facebook wall;
- If you use Twitter, tweet this message;
- And lastly, the Coalition will be posting on Facebook all week so" like" and "share" our advocacy posts.
3. JOIN US AT THE CAPITOL - Thursday, February 16.
- Make an appointment to talk with your legislators and/or their staff about not cutting services to people with developmental disabilities and their families. We will be wearing yellow and have yellow buttons available for DD advocates to wear.
4. MORE WAYS TO PARTICIPATE
- For those who want to participate in the DD Advocacy Day at the Capitol on Feb 16 but can’t make it to Salem, just take photos of yourself and others holding a Print & GO Rally Sign then post it to your Facebook page and tag your legislator & the Oregon DD Coalition!
- Use the Print & GO Talking Points tri-fold brochure for more information for specific budget cuts proposed and our message of advocacy for each.
- Encourage your family and friends to get involved in DD Advocacy on Feb 16.