• David and Michael
Donate to acommunityforeveryone

History


UCP of Oregon and SW Washington has been committed to change and progress for persons with disabilities for over 50 years, striving to ensure their inclusion into every facet of society.


The 50′s

  • 1955: The Double O Workshop opens on SE 50th Ave., later moving to SW Bancroft, and UCP of NW Oregon incorporates in Astoria, OR.
  • 1957: E. Roy Jarman awards Double O its first major contract: spray painting golf carts. UCP of NW Oregon moves to Portland, reorganizes, and includes 14 counties under its umbrella.
  • 1958: Double O hires its first woman; UCP of NW Oregon receives $20,000 training grant from the State Vocational Rehabilitation Office. Three major disability organizations now exist in Oregon: UCP of NW Oregon, Oregon Federation for Handicapped Children, and the Double O Workshop.
  • 1959: UCP of NW Oregon and Oregon Federation for Handicapped Children enter into an agreement concerning the operation of the Double O Workshop. Dororthy Lawson McCall, mother of Governor Tom McCall, chairs a march for Cerebral Palsy.

The 60′s

  • 1960: UCP of NW Oregon first receives funds from the United Way, then called the United Good Neighbor Fund.
  • 1961: The Double O Workshop moves to a facility on SE 72nd Ave., donated by Roy Jarman. Employees manufacture and sell redwood flower baskets.
  • 1962: Double O offers a developmental program for teenagers and other persons considered too disabled to work in the shop. Program later becomes the “Work Activity Center”.
  • 1966: UCP of NW Oregon merges with the Double O Workshop.
  • 1969: The Social Security Administration issues first checks to workshop employees.

The 70′s

  • 1972: UCP publishes its first newsletter, UCP Reports.
  • 1977: Board begins developing plans for an upgraded facility. The Apartment Living Program begins training people to live as independently as possible; the program evolves into “Supported Alternatives for Independent Living”.
  • 1978: The M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust awards UCP a major grant, initiating our official building campaign. UCP of NW Oregon participates in the first national “Weekend With the Stars” telethon, aired locally on KATU.
  • 1979: UCP purchases facility on SE Alder which becomes the first group home in Oregon for individuals with orthopedic impairments.

The 80′s

  • 1980: Governor Vic Atiyeh dedicates the Alder St. group residence, which is home to 12 adults with cerebral palsy.
  • 1981: Board purchases new site, located on SE Foster, from Safeway.
  • 1984: Workshop operations move to the new facility on December 31.
  • 1985: UCP Administrative offices move to new facility on February 5. With funding from the United Way, UCP creates the Family Support Department.
  • 1986: The First Annual CelebriTee golf tournament swings into action.
  • 1987: The Holgate Group Home opens.
  • 1988: Board initiates the Long Range Planning Process, writes five-year plan; major issues are: creation of a state-wide organization, expansion of Family Support, and commitment to community-based services. Payless Drug Stores adopt UCP as their corporate charity.
  • 1989: The Alder Street Group Home closes, and the Home Program initiates a new era of supported living. The Cerebral Palsy Foundation of Oregon & SW Washington incorporates as the endowment arm of UCP, and the Family Support department initiates the Respitality Program which partners with Red Lion Hotels and Shilo Inns.

The 90′s

  • 1990: UCP of NW Oregon and UCP of Oregon merge to become UCP of Oregon and SW Washington. President George H.W. Bush signs the Americans with Disabilities Act.
  • 1992: UCP participates in its last national telethon. The Holgate Group Home closes, and residents move into their own apartments.
  • 1993: Board adopts the second Five Year Plan; issues include financial independence, individualized services, and building external relationships. The Board votes to close the workshop and pursue community-based employment; Vocational and Residential Services merge to become the Community Services Department.
  • 1994: UCP receives major grants from the Murdock and Meyer Trusts in support of the Community Services transition.
  • 1995: Local people with cerebral palsy, supported by UCP in Portland, make history by presenting at the UCPA National Conference.
  • 1996: The workshop closes and workers transition into jobs in the community. The Thrift Operation begins, and UCP holds its first Family Conference.

A New Century

  • 2000: In February, the Fairview Training Center, once the state’s largest institution for people with developmental disabilities, closes, and its residents transition into community-based homes and jobs. In August, the state settles a lawsuit which will open doors to Universal Access and self-directed support for everyone.
  • 2001: Board adopts Operating Strategic Plan, a more focused approach toward overall agency health. Community Services commits to one-on-one supports in Choices, its alternatives to employment program.
  • 2003: Thrift Operation closes as a result of changing factors surrounding the store location.
  • 2005: Development department hosts first annual Walk ‘n’ Roll for UCP!  Foster Road building is sold.
  • 2006: UCP moves to NE Glenn Widing Drive location. United Way restructures funding approach – results in Family Support losing its funding. Community Services recommits to Job Development with United Way grant. UCP begins supporting families by employing parents with adult children who have disabilities living at home.
  • 2009: UCP named one of the Best 100 Nonprofits to work for by Oregon Business.  Our Walk ‘n’ Roll event gains the highest number of attendees in its 5 year history – topping out at more than 650.
  • 2010:  UCP opens support services brokerage, UCP Connections. UCP named one of the 100 Best Nonprofits to work for in Oregon for the second year in a row.
  • 2011: Executive Director Bud Thoune retires, and UCP's then Community Services Director, Ann Coffey, is promoted to Executive Director. UCP moves to a new office in the Gateway neighborhood.
  • 2012: UCP secures $150,000 in funding from Meyer Memorial Trust to double the capacity of our Supported Employment Program.

    • 2014 100 Best NonProfits Logo